Help: How to handle theft or suspension of online services accounts
Release Date: 6 Apr 2018 3070 Views
The following information is about how to handle theft or suspension of online services accounts such as email, social network.
If online service accounts are stolen, the data and address book might be stolen. The account might also be used to deliver scam messages to your family, friends, and business partners. The owner might not be able to login.
If you suspect that your account is stolen, please follow the advice below:
If you can still login the account:
- Reset your login password immediately. If the same account name and password are used in other online services, it is also recommended to change the password immediately.
- If the online service provides two-factor authentication, it is recommended to enable it to strengthen the account security.
If you cannot login the account:
- Make use of ‘Forgot Password’ function to re-gain the account access, and reset the password and also review the security settings, such as if the secondary email and phone number are owned by you. If the online service provides two-factor authentication, it is recommended to enable it to strengthen the account security.
- If you are still unable to log in, please contact the service provider for assistance. H-K-cert cannot re-gain access to any online account on behalf of you. Please note that most online services do not provide assistance by phone. You must follow the instructions on their website, and wait for their reply patiently.
- You should report to nearby police station if any financial loss is incurred.
- It is recommended to alert your family, friends and business partners not to open any scam messages sent from the stolen account by other means.
Related blog or guideline: